- Created by: victoria
- Created on: 08-03-15 20:55
- Asses the relationship between religion and mental health
- Religion causes mental stability
- Removal of religion= psychological problems
- Concept of God (farther figure) all loving = balances psyche = mental stability
- Helps us individuate
- Balances the libido
- Gives us sense and purpose
- John F Schumaker = Good social welfare, solidarity, stability in times of crisis.
- Religion = neurotic illness caused by repression of sexual trauma (Oedipus Complex)
- Causes Guilt and Anguish = increased anxiety and depression
- Religion perpetuates problem of obsessional neurosis
- Religion = heightened sense of guilt and fear. Image of angry God, who seeks revenge after death.
- Religion= prevents psyche from flourishing- dependant on faith so don't find our own solutions to difficulties.
- Freud: Religion harmful to mental heath
- Modern idea: Lack of extensive research
- Positives: Reduce anxiety. Explains order in chaotic world. Satisfy need to be in a community.
- Negatives: Unhealthy guilt, reduce self-esteem. Dependant on God. Forces people to conform. Social division. Fear of punishment and judgement.
- Many variables such as personality
- Jung: Religion positive to mental health
Similar Religious Studies resources: