- A Journey Into Bhutan
- long list of destinations in line 9 emphasises the remoteness of Bhutan
- lines 13&14 repetition of mountains gives sense of enormity of the region
- 'frozen desert'
- oxymoron shows differences for westerners: confusing, shows the landscape is unusual
- 'teenagers in acid wash jeans'
- American culture still intruding
- 'very old, cracked sidewalks and faded paintwork'
- triplet emphasises disrepair, makes next line more shocking
- people all wear the same thing: like a uniform, similar to the houses
- sense of closeness in the small community
- proper terminology adds authority
- line 68: list of characteristics show she is in shock and overwhelmed
- fairy-tale names
- emphasises the beauty of the area
- juxtaposed by the violence in line 92
- 'I am full of admiration'
- emotive, personal response coming through after many facts shows what a positive impact it had on her
Similar English Language resources: