- Created by: Tashaa97
- Created on: 29-04-15 13:58
1. What is motivational forgetting?
- When anxiety caused by the memory in some way represses it from conscious thought to protect us.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did Loftus et al. (1995) say about therapists?
- Therapists may be planting “false memories” which can be done quite easily as people’s memories are very malleable (Loftus et al. 1995) so reduces validity.
3. What did they do?
- P’s told to give free associations to both neutral and negative emotionally charged words. Shortly after the p’s were given the words again and asked to recall their associations.
4. What did Freud suggest?
- Suggested that anxiety-causing material may be repressed as an ego-defence mechanism to protect us.
5. What did they find & conclude?
- Emotional words also produced a higher galvanic skin response (GSR) – a measure of emotional arousal. Repression slowed the p’s recall of associations with emotionally charged words.