1. What is another disadvantage of Freud's theory?
- It's unacceptable to create traumatic or stressful events in a lab to see if they are repressed, so it raises ethical issues.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is repression?
- Not able to retrieve a memory due to emotionally threatening material being repressed or held from conscious awareness.
3. What did they do?
- P’s told to give free associations to both neutral and negative emotionally charged words. Shortly after the p’s were given the words again and asked to recall their associations.
4. Who supported Freud's theory?
- Levinger & Clark’s (1961) study supports repression as an emotional factor in forgetting.
5. What is motivational forgetting?
- When anxiety caused by the memory in some way represses it from conscious thought to protect us.