1. What is a disadvantage of Freud's theory?
- Hard to test Freud's theory to prove/disprove validity of the concept of repressed memories so it lacks falsifiability.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did Freud believe?
- Freud believed that theses repressed memories continue to affect conscious thought, desire and action even though there is no conscious memory of the traumatic event.
3. What did Loftus et al. (1995) say about therapists?
- Therapists may be planting “false memories” which can be done quite easily as people’s memories are very malleable (Loftus et al. 1995) so reduces validity.
4. What did they find & conclude?
- Emotional words also produced a higher galvanic skin response (GSR) – a measure of emotional arousal. Repression slowed the p’s recall of associations with emotionally charged words.
5. What is motivational forgetting?
- When anxiety caused by the memory in some way represses it from conscious thought to protect us.