1. What did Freud suggest?
- Suggested that anxiety-causing material may be repressed as an ego-defence mechanism to protect us.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did Loftus et al. (1995) say about therapists?
- Therapists may be planting “false memories” which can be done quite easily as people’s memories are very malleable (Loftus et al. 1995) so reduces validity.
3. What is motivational forgetting?
- When anxiety caused by the memory in some way represses it from conscious thought to protect us.
4. Who supported Freud's theory?
- Levinger & Clark’s (1961) study supports repression as an emotional factor in forgetting.
5. What did they do?
- P’s told to give free associations to both neutral and negative emotionally charged words. Shortly after the p’s were given the words again and asked to recall their associations.