1. What did Freud believe?
- Freud believed that theses repressed memories continue to affect conscious thought, desire and action even though there is no conscious memory of the traumatic event.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is motivational forgetting?
- When anxiety caused by the memory in some way represses it from conscious thought to protect us.
3. What did Freud suggest?
- Suggested that anxiety-causing material may be repressed as an ego-defence mechanism to protect us.
4. What is a disadvantage of Freud's theory?
- Hard to test Freud's theory to prove/disprove validity of the concept of repressed memories so it lacks falsifiability.
5. What is another disadvantage of Freud's theory?
- It's unacceptable to create traumatic or stressful events in a lab to see if they are repressed, so it raises ethical issues.