- Created by: Chalkster160299
- Created on: 15-05-18 17:32
1. Which of the following statements about iron fertilisation IS NOT TRUE?
- Sequestration of anthropogenic CO2 by deliberate fertilisation of the ocean can only work if the organic carbon so produced can be exported to the deep sea.
- Iron fertilisation of the ocean is a hot topic because stimulation of biological activity leads to drawdown of atmospheric carbon dioxide.
- Bottles filled with surface water from HNLC regions and incubated at the same light and temperature as found in these surface waters, had lower amounts of chlorophyll in when iron had been added.
- Open ocean iron enrichment experiments unequivocally demonstrated that phytoplankton growth is limited by iron in HNLC areas
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the definition of remineralisation?
- Formation of solids from dissolved materials
- The dissolution of "hard parts" (opal, calcite) or the oxidation (breakdown) of "soft part" (organic matter) that leads to the solubilisation of nutrients
- The transfer of matter as a result of molecular motion.
- The uptake of nutrients and other dissolved materials by phytoplankton.
3. 10 The dissolved constituents chloride, sodium, sulphate, magnesium, calcium and potassium account for what per cent (%) of the dissolved constituents in seawater?
- Greater than 99%
- Greater than 95%
- Greater than 80%
- Greater than 90%
4. What is decribed by "The process a plant uses to combine sunlight, water, and carbon dioxide to produce oxygen and sugar (energy)".
- Primary production
5. Why does the composition of sinking particles change with depth in the water column?
- Skeletal material dissolve only slowly. Soft tissue, is consumed and decomposed by animals/bacteria more rapidly. Proportion increases
- Skeletal material dissolve rapidly . Soft tissue, is consumed and decomposed by animals/bacteria only slowly. Proportion decreases
- Skeletal material dissolve only slowly. Soft tissue, is consumed and decomposed by animals/bacteria more rapidly. Proportion decreases
- Skeletal material dissolve rapidly . Soft tissue, is consumed and decomposed by animals/bacteria only slowly. Proportion increases