1. What happens to MOST of the biologically produced particulate matter that is produced in the upper, sunlit part of the ocean?
- Most biological material is recycled in the surface waters
- Most of the biological material reaches the sediments
- Most biological material sinks through the water column and accumulates in the sediments below.
- Most biological material sinks through the water column and is decomposed and recycled in the deep water column below 1000m
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. On average, what is the C:N ratio of phytoplankton?
3. using the stoichiometric equation for respiration. In samples taken at different depths from below the euphotic zone, nitrate concentrations increase by 9.6M. Over the same depth, by how much would you predict the phosphate concentration to change ?
- 0.6 microM
- 128 microM
- 8 microM
- 5 microM
4. If the regression equation, that represents how much absorption increases with increasing concentration (M) is calculated to be y=0.4x-0.01. What is the concentration of a solution with an absorbance of 0.79?
- 2 microM
- 0.306 microM
- 1.845 microM
- 195 microM
5. What is the average oceanic mixing time?
- 5000 years
- 500 years
- 50 years
- 1,500 years