1. When did Bailey publish the 'Universal Etymological Dictionary of the English Language'?
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did Jonathan Swift want?
- To put a stop to all language change
- A return to Shakespearean language and to protect and purify the language
- A return to middle english because it was more appropriate
3. When was Early Modern English?
4. What did the 'crumbling castle' view state?
- Other languages were invading ours to the detriment of the English Language
- That language was decaying
- People were becoming illiterate
5. When was Late Modern English?
- 1700 onwards
Similar English Language resources: