1. What did Smith and Lloyd study? (1978)
- Babies in unisex snowsuits given toys that matched the gender of the name they were given by ppts.
- Babies given toys that opposed their gender
- Babies in unisex snow suits given toys that opposed the gender of the name they were given by ppts.
- Showed male and female participants videos of a male (David) child or female (Dana) child playing with a jack in the box. Girls reaction said to be fear and boys to be anger
1 of 11
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who proposed the Social Role Theory?
- Wilson (1997)
- Eagly and Wood (1999)
- Reimer (1967)
- Money and Ehrardt (1972)
3. Give one criticism of research into the biosocial theory
- It is on the wrong side of the nature vs nurture debate
- Studies of abnormal individuals can't be generalised to all populations
- it is rubbish
4. What is the biosocial theory?
- Biology determines sex of rearing and differential treatment follows from whether we are labelled M or F
- Men have a higher earning capacity than women because of evolution.
- The development of gender is purely biological
- Evolution dictates physiological differences and the sex role allocated to us creates the psychological differences.
5. Give a criticism of Smith and Lloyd's/Condry and Condry's study -
- Participants may have experienced social desirability
- All of the above
- Babies in Condry and Condry's study put under stress by the jack in the box (unethical)
- In Smith and Lloyd's study there was not a gender neutral name, so no control group