1. What did Condry and Condry study?
- Boys said to be fearful of jack in the box, girls said to be angry.
- Babies given toys that matched the gender of the name they were given
- Showed male and female participants videos of a male (David) child or female (Dana) child playing with a jack in the box. Girls reaction said to be fear and boys to be anger
- Babies given opposite gender toys to their sex
1 of 11
Other questions in this quiz
2. Give a criticism of Smith and Lloyd's/Condry and Condry's study -
- All of the above
- Babies in Condry and Condry's study put under stress by the jack in the box (unethical)
- Participants may have experienced social desirability
- In Smith and Lloyd's study there was not a gender neutral name, so no control group
3. What did Eagly and Wood find in a re-examination of Buss' study?
- That men have a higher earning capacity due to adaptive differences
- In cultures where male strength is not important the difference between genders is reduced
- That in cultures where male strength is not important the difference between genders is increased
4. Who proposed the Biosocial approach?
- Money and Ehrardt (1972)
- Macmillan (1950)
- Eagly and Wood (1999)
- Reimer et al (1963)
5. What is the biosocial theory?
- Men have a higher earning capacity than women because of evolution.
- The development of gender is purely biological
- Biology determines sex of rearing and differential treatment follows from whether we are labelled M or F
- Evolution dictates physiological differences and the sex role allocated to us creates the psychological differences.