- Created by: ErinSunderland16
- Created on: 19-02-19 15:48
- In this poem the speaker, a parent, remembers the first time their child showed signs of independence.
- The speaker describes how the child, like a 'half fledged thing' began to find his or her own feet.
- Images from nature, referring to birds leaving the nest and 'a winged seed loosened from its parent stem' show how this seperation occurs in other species too.
- He concludes that 'love is proved in the letting go', showing that separation is an inevitable part of a loving relationship between parent and child.
- Parental Love - the parent's love for his child is shown in the pain he feels when he realises he has to let the child go - 'love is proved in the letting go'.