OUTLINE OF APPROACH
- Abnormality is caused by Physical Factors
- All mental disorders are related to a change in the body.
- Mental disorders are like physical disorders.
- Genetic Inheritance
- Genetic inheritance can be the cause of abnormalities; study twins to investigate (concordance rates)
- For some disorders, there are low concordance rates (phobias) but high concordance rates for others (e.g. schizophrenia)
- Genes in our ancestors from evolution which are no longer useful.
- Certain Genes Lead to Abnormal Biochemistry and/or Abnormal Neroanatomy
- Genes tell the body how to function... determining hormone levels etc.
- High levels of seretonin - anxiety
- Low levels of seretonin - depression
- Genes also determine size of brain , schizophrenics have enlarged ventricles in brain indicating shrinkage of brain tissue around these spaces.
- Viral Infection
- Some disorders may be…