"The family is an idea rather than a physically real thing" - Gittens
Decline in family size
- Childcare costs (Williams 2006).
- Lifestyle choice (Post-modernists).
- Women's employment (Sue Sharpe).
Increase in shared households
- People enjoy spending leisure time together (Heath and Cleaver 2003).
- National Statistics.
- Increase in young adults living with their parents due to costs.
- Cohabitation - decline of living in 'sin' and better contraception.
Decline in marriage
- Women concentrating more career (Sue Sharpe).
- Expectations of marriage have changed (Allan and Crow 2001).
- Increase in cohabitation.
- Women marrying later in life.
- (Delphy - Feminist) Marriage is a labour contract for women.
Increase in lone parent families
- Increasing divorce rate.
- Social policies, e.g. Divorce Reform Act 1971.
- 40% of women cohabiting in the 90's.
- Choice, women see divorce as the solution to a problem (Bernandes).
- Economic independence - 50% of lone…