- Worked out by inputs and outputs --> affects how much water is stored in the basin.
- The water balance in the UK is seasonal.
- Wet Season - precipitation exceeds evapotranspiration --> surplus --> ground stores fill --> runoff which leads to higher discharge and therefore a higher river level.
- Dry Season - precipitation is lower than evapotranspiration --> ground stores depleat --> not replaced.
- Deficit is recharged in the next wet season.
Affected by PeTeR :
- Precipitaion --> more = high discharge
- Temperature --> high = low discharge
- Removal of water --> more = low discharge
Affected by :
- Characteristics (size,shape,streams)
Energy reduced by :
- Reduced rainfall
Shows link between competence and velocity
Greater velocity = greater energy
The Long Profile
Shows the height of…