Sexual and asexual reproduction
There are two types of reproduction - sexual reproduction and asexual reproduction.
Two parents are needed in sexual reproduction, and the offspring produced are geneticallydifferent to the parents.
Only one parent is needed in asexual reproduction, and the offspring produced are genetically identical, eg reproduction in bacteria, production of spores by fungi, and the formation of tubers in potatoes and bulbs in daffodils.
The advantages of asexual reproduction include:
- population can increase rapidly
- can exploit a suitable habitat quickly
The disadvantages include:
- does not lead to variation in a population
- the species may only be suited to one habitat
- disease may affect all the individuals in a population
Ovule - becomes the seed after fertilisation
Stigma - Receives p…