Morality - A system of ethics based on right and wrong
Ethics - The theory relating to morality
Absolute Morality - Something is right or wrong inreespective of the conseqeunces (10 Commandments)
Relative Morality - Something is right of wrong depending on the situation (under-age pregnancy)
Believers think that people should stick to their moral principles and if they break their code of morality, they will be offending against their religion and going against God.
Sanctity of Life - God is responsible for life so we don't have the right to commit suicide as in some ways, our life belongs to God only
Value of Life - The value (financial) of an individual
Quality of Life - How free from pain and suffering does an individual live?
Fertility treatment is a medical prodcedure to assist an infertile couple to have a child.
In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) -A scientific method of making a woman pregnant. This does not involve sex and is donig via sperm and egg being placed into a test tube. It is done outside the body.
BENEFITS: gives a childless couple a chances, diseases can be removed
- child can react badly,
- sometimes egg or sperm comes from somebody else,
- can lead to unwanted pregnancies and heartbreak if unsuccessful
Surrogacy - woman's egg feritilised artificially by another woman's partner. (Jesus was a surrogate baby)
BENEFITS: allows a couple to have a baby
- surrogate mother amy come attached to pregnancy and wish to keep the baby (anxiety and tension),
- biological father is more involved because it is his sperm (left out and not attached),
- surrogate mother might do it for financial gain or selfishness,
- bond between the non-surrogate mother and baby might be a struggle,
- child may react badly when finding out,
- is it a sin to give away a biological child?
Artificial insemination by husband (AIH) - when a woman is made pregnant by the sperm of her husband, but not through having sexual relations with him
Aritificial insemination by donor (AID) - when a woman is made pregnant by the sperm of a man other than her partner, but not through having sexual relations with him
JUDAISM FORBIDS ARITFICIAL INSEMINATION AS MASTURBATION IS SEEN AS 'SPILLING THE SEED' THAT COULD PRODUCE LIFE
HOWEVER< MOST ARE IN FAVOUR OF AIH IF IT IS THE ONLY WAY OF HAVING A CHILD.
BUT MOST GO AGAINST AID BECAUSE:
- the donor is a stranger,
- can be seen as adultery as the sperm is not their partners,
- allows unmarried woman to have a child and bring up on her own,
- allows a gay couple to have a child and bring it up 'single-sex',
- child mgiht be upset when they find out their genetic father (donor) isn't the father who brought them up,
- donor might not want to reveal himself,
- sin to ********** (judaism, roman catholics)
TRANSPLANT SURGERY AND BLOOD TRANSFUSION
Transplant Surgery - when someone else's organs are put into a patient