- Created by: Thomas J Betambeau
- Created on: 16-03-12 18:55
What is genetic engineering?
Genetic engineering is a scientific process where DNA from one life form is taken out, altered, then replaced to continue growing. This process can take place on a plant or an animal.
- People have been particularly concerned when genetic material from a totally different life form like a plant is introduced into an animal.
- It is possible to put the genes from a spider into a pig, or even to introduce genetic material from a strawberry into a pig.
What is cloning?
Cloning is a form of genetic engineering that produces a duplicate cell of a parent plant or animal.
- Cloning can be very easy to do, for example you could cut a stem off a plant and letting it grow separately. That would then be a genetic copy of it's parent plant.
Most people are less concerned about cloning plant life than they are about cloning animal life…