KeyStudy2:Asch-The power of a majority influence and conformity.
Aim:To investigate the effects of conformity to a majority when the task is unamniguous(really obvious)
- 123 american male undergraduate students at Harvard
- Asch showed a series of lines the 'standard line' and other possible answers
- groups of 7-9 participants
- Only 1 of the participants was real the rest were confederates.
- There was 18 trails and the confederate was told to give the same incorrect answer on 12 critical trails
- In the first 2 trails the confederate answered correctly, in 12 critical trails the confederate gave the wrong answer and 4 more where the confederate gave the correct answer.
Measure of conformity was…