Castellow - attractivenss of the defendant
- test the effect of the attractiveness of a defendant on guilty verdicts
- 71 male and 74 female students from East Carolina Uni
- lab experiment
- details of a sexual harrassment case
- photographs of defendant and victim were attached which had been previously catergorised as attractive/unattractive by a panel on a scale of 1 - 9.
- key question analysed: do you think Mr Radford is guilty of sexual harassment?
- towards end of study, participants aked to rate the defendant and victim pictures on 11 bipolar scales such as dull - exciting, nervous - calm, warm - cold.
- combination of attractive victim and unattractive denfendant created the highest % of guilty verdicts
- lowest % of guilty verdicts when defendant was attractive and victim unattractive
- both male and female participants rated the physically attractive denfendants positively on the additional bipolar scales showing the halo effect
- no significant difference found between genders of the mock jurors, both genders were equally affected by physical appearance
Penrod and Cutler…