- different types of electromagnetic radiation.
- As the frequency of light increases, its energy also increases.
- The higher the frequency of radiation, the higher its energy.
Energy = Planck’s Constant x Frequency of light
Planck’s constant = 6.63 x 10-34J Hz-1
Energy Interacts with Matter
A molecule has energy associated with four different aspects of its behaviour:
- Translation- the molecule moving around as a whole.
- Rotation-the rotation of the molecule as a whole.
- Vibration-the vibration of the bonds.
- Electronic- electrons moving from one energy level to another.
The amount of energy required increases down the list.
- All other energy is also quantised
The spacing between…