Psychological methods of stress management
Stress inoculation therapy
· Believed that although we cannot change the causes of stress we can change the way that we think about these stressors
· Negative thinking may lead to negative outcomes such as anxiety and depression.
· Positive thinking leads to positive attitudes and feelings and therefore reduce stress
· Stress inoculation therapy is a form of cognitive behavioural therapy- trying to develop a coping mechanism before the problem arises.
Stress inoculation therapy is split into three phases:
· Therapist and patient develop a relationship.
· Patient is educated the impact and nature of stress
· Taught that stress is a problem to be solved
Skills acquisition phase:
· Coping skills taught and practised in the clinic and in real life
Eg. Positive thinking, relaxation, social skills, attention diversion, time management
· Apply the newly learned coping skills in different situations which become increasingly stressful
· Skills used…