Using the form of a Detective Play
- Draws people in
- The audience like to try and solve the mystery
- They contain different twists and turns
- Dramatic themes eg. death
Published in 1946 but set in 1912?
- In 1912 the class system was more rigid and things could dramatically change
- Dramatic Irony
- The audience knows things that the characters don't eg. Titanic sinking and WW1&2
- Arthur Birling: "Absolutely unsinkable I tell you"; "The Germans don't want war"
- Eric's odd behaviour and exits - shows he has done something wrong when Mrs Birling doesn't realise
- At the start Gerald seems a bit cold
- Mrs Birling is out…
Similar English Literature resources: