Scree slopes-relict feature
- slopes composed of large quantites of rock fragments
- freeze thaw in mountain sides splits rocks which fall down the mountain side
- rocks build up until the slope reaches an angle of 35 degrees (angle of rest- when rocks can no longer build up)
- the slope is then coverd in vegetation
- paving of ground into shapes like garlands, polygons, and stripes.
- can range from a few centimetres to 100 metres in size
- polygons common on flat ground and stripes common on slopes of 5-30 degrees
- frost heaving moves larger stones to the surface.
- fine grains form the core of the pattern and larger stones form the edges of the pattern.
- this creates a series of ploygon shapes
- isolated domed hills upto 100m high and 1km in diameter
- water freezes under the pressure of being underground
- 2 types open pingos and closed pingos
- open pingos- water collects in a valley bottom in a talik (areas of unfrozen permafrost) and is trapped by freezing, when the tulik is frozen. this causes the ice…