HISTORY REVISION NOTES
20TH CENTURY MEDICINE (1901 – 2000)
20th century civilisation
· EXPLOSION OF SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY.
· SOCIETIES BECAME RICH, BUT MONEY WAS EQUALLY SHARED.
· COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY.
· MORE TIME FOR LESISURE, LESS TIME SPENT ON WORK.
· PEOPLE BECAME LESS RELIGIOUS.
· MOST SOCIETIES BECAME DEMOCRATIC.
· AMERICA BECAME DOMINAT BECAUSE OF THEIR MILITARY, ECONOMIC POWER AND VALUES.
· STRESS DUR TO TERRORISM
· WARS, EPIDEMICS AND FAMINES KILLED MORE PEOPLE IN THE 20TH CENTURY THAN THEY HAD IN THE WHOLE OF HISTORY.
· MOST PEOPLE, WHEN COMPARED WITH THEIR GRANDPARENTS, WERE TALLER, HEALTHIER AND LIVED LONGER.
20th century medical knowledge
· 1896 a barium meal with X-rays were used to track the passage of food through the digestive system.
· 1910 the chemical histamine was discovered, the chemical which is produced by the body …