- Until 1871 Germany had consisted of 22 states and the largest was Prussia.
- By 1871 Prussia managed to bring the others under its control and created a German Empire.
- Reichstag - Parliament
- After 4 years of fighting Germany was exhausted, morale was low and the Kaiser Willhelm II was very unpopular. He had been the Kaiser since 1888.
- A new government, The Weimar Government was created following defeat in war and abdication of the Kaiser. The government was created in 1919.
- At first their were problems: hyperinflation and Hitler attempting to seize power.
Origns of the Weimar Republic
- Kaiser abdicated, fled Germany and went to the Netherlands.
- Councils were set up by workers to govern themselves
- Elections were held - People were not used to democracy.
- Due to the chaos in the capital Berlin, the new governement met in Weimar: 150 miles away from Berlin.
The Armistice 11 November 1918
Similar History resources: