- There have been 100 cases so far, of people falsely imprisoned.
- This has been found out through later DNA analysis at the scene of a crime.
- 20% admit they were falsely imprisoned.
Why do people falsely confess?
- Individual characteristics
- Covering someone due to threats
- Know there's no way out, no alternative but to confess
- To protect someone else
- Volnerable and susceptable to pressure of interrogation
Corection: Using force / interrogation to get someone to do or think something.
Kassin and wrightsmans believe there's 3 distinct types of false confession:
- Voluntary confession: Purposeful false confession
- Coerced confession:…