- Coding parts of DNA are called exons.
- Non-coding parts are called introns.
- Repetitive non-coding base sequences within introns are called short tandem repeats or hyper varaible regions.
The steps for genetic fingerprinting are carried out as follows:
1) DNA is extracted from th sample and cut into smaller fragments using restriction endonucleases.
2) DNA fragments are seperated by using gel electrophoresis, an electric current is passed through the DNA fragments which are negatively charged, meaning they are pulled towards the positive terminal. The smaller the size of the fragment, the further and faster it moves.
3) The trough/well is covered…