Freud's argument is that religion is an illusion based on human wishes. It is created by the mind to help us overcome; inner psychological conflict, stress stemming from the structure in society and fear of the dangers of the natural world.
- In certain circumstances, the human mind will create beliefs and images to satisdy its most basic longings and desires. This is the idea know as "Wish fulfilment"
- When Freud talked about "Illusion" but he did not mean that religion is false or that there is no God, but that is answers the inner needs of the person.
- Freud's theory demonstrated his view of the psychological purpose of religion.
Religion as an aid to overcome inner psychological conflict forms the main body of Freud's work on religion. Here's a summary;
- Religion is a form of neurotic illness
- It stems from the unconscious mind
- It results from incomplete repressed traumatic memories
- The trauma is invariably sexual in nature
- Therefore religion is an illusion resulting from sexual difficulties
In other words Freud believed that the minds solution to such trauma results in humans locking it…