the role of women
- "her hair was the brightest living gold"
- "crown of distinction"
- "heaven sent"
- "celestial stamp"
- "child fairer than a pictured cherub"
- "saintly soul of elizabeth shone like a shrine dedicated lamp" sibilance to emphasise
- "the guardian angel of my life"
- "his daughter attended him" women weak/slaves
- "he strove to shelter her as the fair exotic is sheltered by the gardener" women are vulnerable-gardener grows flowers-women are flowers... pretty but usless unless for the pleasure to look at, powerless. irony: frank judges everything by how it looks
- his parents are a "silken cord" mother is delicate? comodity
- elizabeth was a weak child but beautiful and frank's father moulded her-women controlled by men
- "i have a pretty present for…
Similar English Literature resources: