A balanced diet should supply all essential nutrients, with six essential nutrients taking prominence:
- Carbohydrates (providing energy)
- Fats (provide energy and insulation and act as an energy store)
- Proteins (emergency energy and growth and repair)
- Vitamins (prevent scurvy and other diseases)
- Minerals (help to make healthy haemoglobin)
- Water (to prevent dehydration)
- (I know I said six but fibre is an important seventh)
Carbohydrates are made of simple sugars like glucose. They are either stored in the liver as glycogen or converted to fats.
Fats are made up of fatty acids and glycerol, they can be stored under the skin and around organs as adipose tissue.
Proteins are made up of amino acids and are not stored.
Some amino acids can not be created by the body so have to be obtained from your diet. These amino acids are essential amino acids - since you can obtain all the essential…