Duke of Somerset:
- Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset was made Lord Protector by the council on the 4th Feb 1547 regardless of Henry VIII's wish for a regency council with 16 chosen members laid out in his will.
- Treason Act- He repealed the old heresy laws allowing much greater freedom of speech.
- Vagrancy Act- Ordered local councils to provide housing and collections for needy persons who were not vagabonds - however vagrants had to branded with a 'V' and sold into slavery for 2 years.
- He delayed calling parliement until November '47.
- The naval blockade of the Firth of Forth failed and Mary Stuart escaped to France.
- Chantries Act- was meant to help fund new schools however most of the money went to help fund the Scottish campaigns.
- September 1547 Somerset invaded Scotland and won the battle of Pinkie
- The Scottish campaigns were damaging to the economy as England couldn't afford…