- Created by: Charlotte Messenger
- Created on: 29-05-14 18:11
The Effects of Major Developments in Textiles Technology
We have come to expect more from our clothing and other textile products. New textiles are being developed all the time - mostly to try and improve the performance of existing products, therefore to keep the consumer buying new products - maximising sales and profits.
Some Examples of Major Developments Are:
- Fibre production - organic cotton, spider silk, Lyocell, microfibres, nanofibres, non-traditional fibre sources such as leaf hemp and pineapple leaf and banana leaf.
- Yarn production - blended yarns such as lyocell and lycra. Heat treatments on yarn to give texture such as crimping or bulking.
- Fabric production - biomimetics - fabrics that imitate nature:
- Fastskin by Speedo (fabric for swimwear that acts like a shark skin)
- Stomatex (fabric that imitates the way the surface of a leaf breathes and regulates temperature)
- Super Microft (fabric that mimics the…