CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM: BLOOD
· blood transports oxygen from the lungs around to the rest of the body and carryies unwanted carbon dioxide to the lungs to be exhaled.
· blood carries nutrients from the GI tract to cells
· blood carries hormones from the endocrine glands to needed cells.
· blood also carries heat and waste products to certain organ to be got rid of.
· helps maintain the body’s PH through the use of buffers.
· regulates body temp to keep and standard
· Blood clotting by platelets to reduce losing to much blood from any injuries.
· blood transports white blood cells that help fight against disease by carrying phagocytes
· Blood is denser and thicker than water and can feel a bit sticky.
· Blood temp is around 38°c
· Slightly alkaline at 7.35 to 7.45
The two components of blood:
The blood plasma –
· It’s the extracellular fluid surrounding the formed elements in the blood e.g. red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets.
· It is about 95% water and 8% dissolved substances.
· Most of the dissolved substances are proteins that play an important role…