C2b: Construction Materials
Materials from rocks
Many construction materials are found in rocks in the earth's crust:
- Iron and aluminium are extracted from rocks called ORES
- Brick is made by baking clay (extracted from the earth)
- Glass, concrete and cement are all made from sand and small pieces of rock
- Limestone is easiest to shape because it's the softest.
- Granite is the hardest to shape.
- HT: rocks differ in hardness because of the way they are made:
- Limestone is sedimentary rock
- Marble is metamorphic, made from limestone that has been put under heat and pressure, which makes it harder
- Granite is an igneous rock
Limestone, Cement and Concrete
Limestone and marble are mainly made of calcium carbonate (CaCO…