Human digestive system made up of long muscular tube and associated glands.
Glands produce enzymes = break down large molecules into small ones for absorption.
Digestion = large molecules hydrolysed by enzymes into small molecules that can be absorbed and assimilated.
Major parts of the digestive system
- Mouth breaks down food physically by chewing and mixes food with amylase from salivary glands, tongue rolls food into bolus.
- Oesophagus carries food from the mouth to the stomach - adapted for transport, thick muscular wall.
- Stomach = muscular sac w/inner layer that produces enzymes, stores and digests food (proteins).
- Glands in stomach produce enzymes to digest proteins and produce mucus (prevents stomach digesting itself)
- Small intestine (duodenum and ileum) = long muscular tube, further digests food.
- Enzymes produced by walls and glands in small intestine.
- Inner walls of small intestine = villi and micro villi on epithelial cells --> increase…