- Created by: Aishwarya
- Created on: 27-04-12 06:19
Biodiversity - measure of the number of species on the planet.
Extinction - loss of species.
Human alteration to habitat is the single greatest threat to bio-diversity on Earth.
Species conservation - the planned preservation of wildlife.
- process by which new species are formed from pre-existing ones over very long periods of time.
- the theory of evolution was first put forward by Charles Darwin.
- He proposed natural selection as the force that causes change in population.
Adaptive radiation in the finches of the Galapagos Islands
- Darwin travelled to South America and the Galapagos Islands in 1832.
- The islands were formed in recent geological time as a result of volcanic activity.
- Task was to observe, describe and classify plants and animals.
- He also collected fossils in rocks which showed him that different life-forms had gone through many changes in the past.
- Studied 14 different species of finches
- Finches may have reached the…