What is selective breeding?
It is the artificial selection of organisms, e.g. plants or animals, that will breed and pass on their genes to keep them in the population. It is selected according to our desires, so only "desirable" organisms are taken from a population and bred together.
What types of features are "desirable" in selective breeding programmes?
- maximum yields of meat, milk, grain, etc.
- good health/disease resistance
- temperament, speed, attractiveness, etc.
What are the processes of selective breeding?
1. Select the organisms with the best characteristics from your existing stock.
2. Breed them together.
3. Select the best offspring…