- Wolfgang Behringer
- Marc Bloch
- Lucien Febvre
- Ludmilla Jordanova
- Darren Alridge
- John Tosh
- Emmanual Le Roy Laduire
- broader vision of history
- 'total history'
- taps into the disciplines of geography, psychology, economics, culture, sociology, etc.
- recognition of the importance of understanding the mentality of people in the past
- being in the mindset of people in the 16th and 17th century
- witchcraft beliefs were rational at the time
- "the history of mentality is concerned with the emotional, the instinctive and the implicit"