- Grew more than enough food and traded with many other Mediterranean countries.
- They used slaves which gave the Greeks time to educate themselves.
- Wartime wounds needed treatments and doctors learn about anatomy.
- Wealthier people could employ doctors.
- Improvements in the strength of materials helped to make better surgical instruments.
Natural Beliefs and Treatments – The Theory of the Four Humours
- Aristotle suggested the body was made up of four humours – blood, phlegm, yellow bile and black bile. These were linked to the four seasons and the four elements. They need to be in balance for good health.
- Treatments developed from the theory aimed at bringing humours into balance. You could get rid of an excess humour by purging, vomiting or blood-letting.
Natural Beliefs and Treatments – Hippocrates
- Hippocrates is acknowledged as the father of modern medicine. He was born on the island of Kos.
- He believed in natural causes of disease, and encouraged doctors to treat illness using natural methods.
- The Hippocratic Oath is a promise made by doctors to obey rules of behaviour in their professional lives. Doctors still take the Hippocratic Oath today!
- The Hippocratic Corpus is a collection of medical…