- Created by: emmahunt434
- Created on: 16-05-15 17:59
- Side effects:
- When ECT was first introduced it could cause bone fractures and memory loss, side effects have been reduced but still risk of cognitive and social impairments.
- Some drugs have side effects that may be considered worse than the orginial symptoms e.g phenothiazines can cause symptoms associated with Parkinson's like tremors and stiffness. However, there is an expectation of patients to comply with medication.
- Treat symptoms not the cause:
- Assumes that relieving symptoms cures the problems, however in many cases when drug treatment is stopped, there is a relapse, suggests that drugs don't address true cause of the problem or help patients cope with experiences that may have contributed to disorder in first place
- Ethical Issues: