- Created by: Molly Hirst
- Created on: 24-04-13 12:09
A Balanced Diet supplies all the essential nutrients.
- Carbohydrates - Provide energy.
- Fats(lipids) - Act as an enery store, provide insulation, make up cell membranes, physically protect organs.
- Proteins - Needed for growth, the repair of tissues and to make enzymes.
- Vitamins - Different ones have different functions. Vitamin D : Calcium absorption. Vitamin K : Blood clotting.
- Mineral salts - Different ones have different functions. Iron : Make haemoglobin in the blood. Calcium : Bone strength.
- Fibre - Aids movement of food throughout the gut.
- Water - Used in chemical reactions. we need a constant supply to replace water lost through urinating, sweating and breathing.
A Healthy diest should be high in fruit and vegetables and low in salt and fat.
We're advised to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables because :
1. They're a good source of vitamins, minerals and fibre. Which are all essential in a healthy diet.
2. Filling up on fruits and vegetables can help maintain a healthy weight.
3.Studies have shown, eating plenty of fruits and vegetables can reduce the risk of heart disease and some types of cancer.