- Created by: MiaT212
- Created on: 03-06-19 18:14
Why Did Men Want to Fight In WW1
The legal age for joining was 16 but many ignored this and joined up at 15 or even younger if they could get away with it!
- Going to war was seen as some amazing adventure away from the dull bore of everyday life.
- Some went to escape poverty or troubles.
- Soldiers were promised a steady income but often were not paid.
- Young Men not wearing uniform were given a white feather - a symbol of cowardice.
- Social pressure to join was enormous
- Conscription was instated in 1916 meaning all soldiers had to fight.
1 of 1
Similar History resources: