- Created by: alex
- Created on: 10-05-11 17:44
- temperature control
The attraction between water molecules is called hydrogen bonding.
Water has a high specific water capacity as the hydrogen bonds can absorb a lot of energy. The bonds are also hard to break.
Hydrogen atoms are postively charged - Oxygen atoms are negative.
amino acid - dipeptide - polypeptide - protein
-made up of one or more polypeptides.
-the amino acids are linked together by peptide bonds
Primary Structure (peptide bonds)
- a sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain
Secondary Structure (hydrogen bonds)
- hydrogen bonds form between amino acids to make it coil
- alpha helix or beta pleated sheet
- coiled further
- more bonds form
- for proteins from a single polypeptide structure this is the final structure.
- ionic interactions - attractions between charges on parts of the molecule
- disulfide bonds - between custeine
Quaternary Structure (all bonds)
- several polypeptide chains held together by bonds
- strong fibrous protein for supportive tissues in animals
- three polypeptide chains
- strong triple helix
- covalent bonds interlinking chains
- minerals bind to the helix to increase its rigidity
- globular protein
- iron containing heam group binds to oxygen
- transports O2 in the blood
- curled structure with a hydrophilic outside - soluble.