- Created by: Imogen Maytum
- Created on: 17-11-13 15:48
The importance of making new cells.
-GROWTH= Multicellular organisms grow by producing new extra cells. Each cell is genetically identical to the parent cell so can perform the same functions.
-REPAIR=Damaged cells need to be replaced by new ones that perform the same job as the rest so need to be identical (same as with growth).
-REPLACEMENT=Red blood cells and skin cells are replaced by new ones.
Differences between how plans and animal cells go
-In animals, most cells are capable of mitosis and cytokinesis, whereas in plants only special cells, known as MERISTEM CELLS can divide this way.
-Plant cells do not have CENTRIOLES- the TUBULIN PROTEIN THREADS are made in the CYTOPLASM.
-CYTOKINESIS= ANIMAL cells;
- Starts from the OUTSIDE ('nipping in' the cell membrane).
-CYTOKINESIS= PLANT cells;
- Starts with the formation of a CELL PLATE where the SPINDLE EQUATOR was.
- New CELL MEMBRANE and CELL WALL material is laid down along the CELL PLATE.