Projects that inculde these aspects:
- Decision making lies with the local community.
- Small scale and apprioprate to local needs.
- Culturally acceptable.
1 of 6
Bottom up advantages.
- Meets the needs of the local people.
- Helps solve the problems of the local community.
- Local people have a say in what happens.
- Improves quality of life.
- More sustainable.
2 of 6
Bottom up disadvantages.
- Only benefits the locals not the country as a whole.
- Only small scale.
- Can only help to a certain point.
- Dependent on NGOs.
- Creates honey potting (people move to the area.)
3 of 6
Top down projects include:
- Decision making from the government or large multilateral organisations.
- Local community have little say.
- Large scale projects.
- Expensive projects.
- Using western technology.
4 of 6
Top down advantages.
- Large scale = large benefits.
- Provides jobs (construction and maintainance.)
- Attracts people to the area.
- Helps the whole country.
- Infrastructure projects.
- Trade links and international relations improve.
5 of 6
Top down disadvantages.
- Waste of money and resources.
- Have to pay back loans from other countries. (Loan dependency.)
- Locals have no say.
- Can reduce quality of life in the surrounding area in certain cases.
- May not help everyone.
- Takes a long time to complete.
- Increases pollution.
- Can destroy culture of an area.
6 of 6