Real Books (pg38)
- A lot of Gatsby is a façade built up to please Daisy
- Unopened and unread could be compared to Gatsby
- "Absolutely real" "Have pages"
Valley of Ashes (pg21)
- "where ashes grow like wheat."
- "grotesque gardens"
- "ash-grey men swarm up"
- grey, lifeless image links to Wilson's "ashen" face.
Green Light (pg 20 and 142)
- "stretched out his arms toward the dark water." Gatsby "vanished" (pg20)
- "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future." (pg142)
- unobtainable dreams
1 of 2
- white= innocence
- represent even the purest are corrupt but does stay with tom so not completely
- '"They're such beautiful shirts," she sobbed' --> materialism (comp. cars)
East egg vs. west egg (pg7)
- east egg- "white palaces of the fashionable east"
- west egg- "the less fashionable of the two."
Eyes of T.J.Eckleberg (pg127)
- "You can't fool God!" --> "that's an advertisement" (michaelis)
- The eyes of God are ever present, even though most characters don't believe
2 of 2
Similar English Literature resources: