Preparing for War
- 1933 Hitler bame Chancellor
- Germany, Italy (both Facists) and Imperialist Japan came together declaring Russia a common enemy.
Soviet Union Response:
- Reform Military
- Divert economic resources to rearmament.
However, in each case Stalin's paranoia made all of this ineffective.
Reforming the military
- Started in 1935
- Under Trotsky all ranks within army were abolished.
- Stalin brought back these ranks of officers.
HOWEVER, between 1937 &1938 over 34,000 soldiers were purged and several army officers meaning a lot of experties were lost.
- Soviet Union had spies in USA, UK, France & German governement.
- Stalin refused to accept all the information as he didn't trust the intelligence.
- For much of this time anyway, spy resources was spent trying to find Trotsky
- 3rd 5YP started in 1938.
- Purges led to chaos and meant that the plan was never finished.
- Administrators only left with drafts.
- Government departments argued over allocation of money.
- Under this plan 11 times more money spent on defence.
- 1936 = 6 new aircraft factories built & 24 new factories for explosives production.
- 1938--1942 = number of tanks made doubled.
Nazi Soviet Pact
MADE ON 24TH AUGUST 1939
Publically the Pact said:
- Germany & Russia would respect each others territory.
- They would increase trade as a sign of friendship.
Privately the Pact said:
- Germany could control Western Poland & Czechslovakia
- Russia could control Latvia, Lithuania & Estonia (in a month he overthrew them)
German invasion of Poland:
1 week later, Germany had invaded Poland and taken over capital. Stalin phoned to congatulate him.
Reasons for Stalin's decision
- Neither USA or UK seemed interested in forming alliance with Russia, or seemed fussed about stopping Hitler.
- Stalin wanted to "buy time" - he thought wouldn't be ready until 1943.
- Lenin adviced the German Communists & GermanCommunist to form a pact in order to overthrow Demo gov.
- Stalin admired Hitler.
- It was the only way for recapture European countries that were Russian territory.
Germany Invades Russian