The Control of Respiration
- Breathing happens automatically and is under the influence of the Respiratory Control Centre (RCC). this is located in the Medulla ( in the brain).
- this control centee has 2 areas, ( both areas happen with out us knowing) therefore they are under Involuntary Nervous Control :
* the INSPIRATORY CONTROL CENTRE (ICC)
* the EXPIRATORY CONTROL CENTRE (ECC)
Factors affecting the respiratory Control Centre
there are several factors that affect the (RCC) the main ones are:
a LOW BLOOD pH (increase in acidity)
MECHANORECEPTORS & PROPRIOCEPTORS
The Effects of Training upon Lung Function
After training aerobically for a long period this will create an improvement in LUNG FUNCTION. this is due to several factors including :
- small increases in lung volumes and capacites
- improved transport of respiratory gases, oxygen and carbon dioxide
- more efficient gaseous exchange at the alveoli and tissues
- improved uptake of oxygen by the muscles.