Series of disturbances mainly in South and East of country.
Machine Breaking, Arson, Riots, Threatening Letters and Extortion - Letters signed 'Swing' or 'Captain Swing'.
- Population Growth - More People, Same No. Jobs
- Poor Harvests = Higher Food Prices
- Post War Agricultural Slump
- Rural Poverty - 10% on Poor Relief
- 2nd French Revolution
- Cheap Irish Labour
- New Technology
Rioters wanted work and higher wages.
Lower wages in the south - less money for food
- Offering Rewards
- Mobilised Yeomanry/Swore in more SC
- Troops sent to worst affected areas
- Wage Levels fixed.
Of those punished 40% were acquitted.