Stages of sleep
- Sleep has a cylical pattern every 90 minutes
- before sleep metabolic, heart rates and temperature drops, alpha wave on EEG
Stages of Sleep
- Slow wave sleep - stage 1, alpha waves replaced by slower desychronised waves
- stage 2 - EEG becomes sychronised with larger waves, interrupted my 'sleep spindles'
- stage 3- large slow delta waves boby rates drop further
- stage 4- delta waves only shown, with low rates and a high arousal threshold.
1 of 2
- REM (Rapid eye movement) sleep occurs 30 minutes after stage 4
- after this stage 2 starts followed by deeper stages of 3 and 4.
- REM lasts longer in cycles towards the morning
Characterists of REM;
- increase in body rates
- relaxation and paralysis of sketal muscles
2 of 2