Finding the Centre of Mass
- The centre of mass is the point at which the mass of the object acts
- It always found the along the axis of symmetry on regular shapes
You can find the centre of mass of a piece of paper by:
1) Hanging it, along with a a plumbline from one point. Draw a line down the plumb line.
2) Repeat step one but hanging the plumbline and paper from a different point.
3) Where the two lines cross is the centre of mass
- If an object's line of action of its weight lies outside its base, it will topple over.
- The line of action starts from the centre of mass and acts as force downwards.
Stability can be increased by:
- Lowering the centre of mass
- Making the base wider