What is the Family?
- Related by Kinship (blood, marriage, or adoption).
- Very Important social institution.
- Found, in some form, in all societies.
- Key role in the socialisation of children.
1 of 5
What did he say?
- Families live together.
- Work together/pool resources.
- Includes male and female (sexual relationship-approved by wider society)
- Have at least one child.
Criticisms of Murdock: Outdated!!
2 of 5
The Nuclear and Extended Family.
- Parents and children live together in one family.
- Sometimes know as 2 generation family.
- All kin including and beyond the Nuclear family.
- 2 main types: Classic and Modified, extended Families.
- These are either horizonatally or vertically extended.
3 of 5
Classic and Modified Extended Families.
- Extended family living together or close by, members see one another regularly
- Horizontally Connected- Aunts and Uncles etc.
- Vertically Connected- Grandparents and Grandchildren.
- Nuclear family, live geographically far apart, remain in reg. contact (visting, phone, email and letters etc.)
- Probably the most common family type in britian today.
4 of 5
Vertically and Horizontally Extended Family.
- 3 generations of the same family
5 of 5