- Created by: Declan Worden
- Created on: 01-10-19 17:15
- Students allocated schools based on 11+ Entry Exam
- Grammar, Secondary Modern and Secondary Technical
- Criticised for 'Labelling'
- 1965-Present Day
- No entrance exam
- Comprehensive Schools accept all students.
- Achievement still effected by background however
Types of School Today
Comprehensive - Run by local council with no entry requrements.
Academy - Not controlled by local council, but by trusts funded by the government
Special School/SEN - Caters for students with additional learning needs.
Free School - Funded by the governments but can be set up and run by any group.
Independent/Fee Paying - Private schools are not run by the government and they charge fees. 7% of the population attend one. Better facilities.
Aternative Provision - Some parents are home-schooled with home-tuition. Illich argures for deschooling = abolishing schools and education.
Social Class and Education
General Trends - Middle Class students are more likely to do better in education than working class students.
Hasely, Heath and Ridge (1980) - (RM: Face-to-face survey) - Divided social class into service (upper), intermediate and working class. Evidence of social class inequalities in eduaction. Boys from service class are 11x more likely to go to university.